You have your mobile device and it’s great, but do you know how to use all its features? Do you know how to copy and paste on your device? How to save online images? How to take screenshots? How to lock orientation? How to mute? How to take photos? How to turn off sounds like keyboard clicking? How to close apps (just exiting them doesn’t close them)?
There are a lot of cool things your device can do, so for Thing 2 we’re going to ask you to explore some of them. We have identified websites and videos that have tips for many different devices, so scroll down to find your device and check out some of the tips.
Disclaimer: there are many different types of Android devices, and we have listed tips for some of the most popular devices, but we know we may not have your device listed. In that case, what we did was add a search tips section giving suggestions on how you can search to try to find some websites and videos about your device.
Blogging for this Thing
Look at some of these websites and/or videos and try some of the tips on your device. Write a blog post telling us some new tips you’ve discovered. If you know of additional tips for your device, tell us about them in your blog, too.
iPad tips & tricks
If you’ve upgraded your iPad to iOS 7, you may want to watch this video – iPad iOS 7 Overview:
The creator of that video has multiple other iOS 7 videos that show certain features, so check out his iOS 7 playlist.
For more tips and tricks for iPads, check out some of these websites:
- iPad Support from the Apple website – use the menu at the left to look at all the tips.
- The Best iPad Tips and Tricks (iOS 4 to 6) – for those of you who haven’t upgraded to iOS 7 (or can’t on your device) here are some tips for iOS 4 to 6.
- iOS 7 Tips and Tricks: Here’s What Your iPhone or iPad Can Do Now – scroll down to view all the tips for iOS 7.
iPhone tips & tricks
If you’ve upgraded your iPhone to iOS 7, here’s a video you may want to watch – iOS 7 Hidden Features:
For other features of iPhones, check out some of these websites:
- iPhone 4s Tips and Tricks from Apple – scroll down to see all the tips for an iPhone 4s.
- iPhone 5c Tips and Tricks from Apple – scroll down to see all the tips for an iPhone 5c.
- iPhone 5s Tips and Tricks from Apple – scroll down to see all the tips for an iPhone 5s.
- 15 iPhone Tips & Tricks You Probably Don’t Know – scroll down to view them all, and it looks like they’re for the iPhone 5, but may be useful for other iPhones.
- Here’s a great blog post by 23 Mobile Things participant Heather on all the cool things she found when she looked for tips for her iPhone 4S.
Google Nexus smartphone tips & tricks
If you have the latest Google Nexus smartphone, or want some tips on using Android’s 4.4 KitKat, you may want to watch this video – Google Nexus 5 Android 4.4 KitKat Tips, Tricks & Hidden Features:
For more Google Nexus smartphone tips, check out some of these websites:
- 25 Tips for Google Nexus 5 – scroll down to see the tips for Google Nexus 5 phones.
- 25 Tips for Google Nexus 4 – scroll down to see the tips for Google Nexus 4 phones.
Google Nexus tablet tips & tricks
For help getting started on a Google Nexus 7 tablet, check out this video – Google Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks:
For more information on Google Nexus tablets, check out some of these websites:
- Google Nexus tips from Google – click the plus buttons to view all the tips. “Explore your Nexus device” section is particularly helpful.
- Nexus 7: 30- Tips and Tricks – just scroll down to see all the tips.
- 40 Google Nexus 7 Tablet Tips and Tricks – scroll down to read all the tips for Nexus tablets.
Samsung Galaxy smartphone tips & tricks
Watch this video if you have a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone – Samsung Galaxy S4 the Hidden Tips and Tricks:
For more information on using Samsung Galaxy phones, check out some of these websites:
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Top 50 Tips and Tricks – scroll down to view all the tips for a Galaxy S3.
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Tips – scroll down to view the tips for Galaxy S4 phones.
Samsung Galaxy tablet tips & tricks
For tips on using the Samsung Galaxy Note tablets, you may want to watch this video – Galaxy Note 10.1 Tips & Tricks:
For more information on Samsung Galaxy tablets, check out some of these websites:
- Tips & Tricks for the Galaxy Note 10.1 from Samsung – scroll down to view the tips.
- Tips & Tricks: Galaxy Tab 3 from Samsung – scroll down to view the tips.
HTC tips & tricks
For information on getting started with HTC’s latest phone, check out this video – HTC One Tips, Tricks, & Hidden Features:
For more information about HTC devices, check out some of these websites:
- 12 Helpful Tips for HTC One Owners – just scroll down to view the tips.
- 25 HTC One Tips – just scroll down to read the tips.
Searching for device tips & tricks
We know we may not have your device listed, or we may not have the exact version of the device you have, so here are some tips on how to search for videos or websites for your device. We used Google and YouTube for these tips.
- Search for the name of your device plus: (tips OR tricks) or “getting started”. Here’s what these searches may look like:
- Search for the name of the Android operating system you’re using, like this:
- If you’re specifically trying to figure out how to use one feature of your device, then search for your device name with what you’re trying to do. For instance if you were trying to figure out how to take a screenshot using Toshiba’s Thrive tablet, then you might search like this:
Try using some of these suggestions to find tips for your device and blog about what you find.