Flipboard allows you to add pretty much anything you’d like to create an eye-catching personal magazine. You can add content from newspaper websites, blogs, your Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts, and even content from places like Etsy.
- Download the app and open it.
- You can choose to create an account with Flipboard or not. If you do create an account and you put Flipboard on multiple devices, your account with transfer to all those devices. If you do not create an account you can still use Flipboard, you just won’t be able to have your settings transfer from one device to the next.
- If you do want to create an account, open the app and tap on the “Flipboard Account” button. Fill in the appropriate fields and your account will be created.
- To add content to Flipboard in multiple ways. One way is to use the search bar at the top of the page to search for something you’re interested in. You’ll then find content about your search term and you can click the + button to add content to your Flipboard.
- Another way to add content is to click on the red flag and discover content by category. Select a category, like News, and you’ll see suggested sources to follow. Click the little flag button to the right of a source to follow it.
- Once you follow many things, they will appear as boxes on the Flipboard home page. Select a box to read its content.
Here are some screenshots to help you get started.
This screenshot shows what Flipboard might look like when you open it and what you do to add items (click to make it larger):
This screenshot shows what it looks like when you open one of the boxes on your homepage to read the latest stories (click to make it larger):
One way to add items is to click on the red flag. Here’s what that looks like (click to make it larger):
When you’re reading a story you want to save, just click the Plus button by the story. You then either create a new magazine or add the story to one you’ve already created. Here’s a screenshot showing this (click to make it larger):
For more information about using Flipboard on tablets, watch this video – Flipboard iPad App Tutorial:
For more information about using Flipboard on smartphones, watch this video – Flipboard iPhone App Tutorial:
You can actually use Flipboard to follow blogs, like library or technology blogs or blogs of other 23 Mobile Things participants. In Flipboard, you just want to either search for the title of the blog or to search for a link to the blog or the blog’s RSS feed.
To search for someone’s blog by the name of it, use the search bar on the top of the Flipboard homepage and type in the name of their blog, as shown in this screenshot (click to make it larger):
If you do not see the name of their blog appear, you want to click on More Results to try to find the blog under the RSS feeds. Here is a screenshot showing this (click to make it larger):
If you are unable to locate the blog when searching for its title, then you want to search for either the link to the blog or a link to the blog’s RSS feed. Here are two screenshots showing where you can get the blog link or the blog’s RSS feed.
Here’s how you’d copy the URL of the blog and paste it into Flipboard (click to make it larger):
And here’s how you’d try to locate the blog’s RSS feed to copy it and paste it into Flipboard (click to make it larger):
Library and technology blogs
There are many library and technology blogs you may want to follow using Flipboard. Here are some suggestions, but if you have any additional suggestions blog about them in your Thing 4 blog post: